Thursday, August 21, 2008

Featured PDA Scholar of the Day: Laarni

I’m an avid follower of the Pinoy Dream Academy season 2 eversince it started and I’m a witness on how far the scholars have improved with their performances. I will be posting more information about the scholars in the coming days and I will start with the star scholar from the previous Gala Night.

One of the scholars who have improved immensely is Laarni Losala. One mentor dubbed her as the “apparition lady” before because her eyes were always fixed on the floor when singing. But that was before, Laarni is now full of confidence with her performances. No wonder, she was named as the star scholar on the 9th Gala Performance Night. Two jurors even told her that she has a “great voice”. Below are information I grabbed from the official web site of the Pinoy Dream Academy.



Full Name:Laarni Losala
Age:22
Birthdate: 23 June
Place of Birth: Pasig
Height: 5’2”
Civil Status: Single
Occupation: Student
Educ. Attainment: Bachelor or Secondary Education major in English (ongoing)
School Last Attended: Philippine Women’s University
Interests (other than singing): Acting, debate, teaching
Favorite Singers: Lea Salonga, Whitney Houston, Charlotte Church, Sitti, Charice Pempengco, Gary V., Renee Olstead, Enya
Discovering my voice: “Bibo po ako sa amin when I was a kid. Ginagawa kong microphone ang sandok. Then, lagi akong kumakanta sa loob ng klase during elementary years. Ang saya ko everytime ako kumakanta ng Lupang Hinirang sa flag pole.”
First song ever performed: Ang Tao’y Marupok Kay Daling Lumimot
Musical instrument I can play: Piano. My tita financed my piano lessons at PWU.
Musical instrument I’d like to learn: Violin, guitar
Greatest achievement: I’ve been able to support myself financially, and getting into PDA.
Biggest failure: When I failed and lost my scholarship in college.
Greatest Dream: To have a meaningful and peaceful life
Song of my life: Karamay Mo Si Hesus, composed by Mr. Anderson Go
Quote Me: “Music is my passion.Music will save me.”

Notes on Laarni:

At a young age, Laarni left Sultan Kudarat to find a better life in Manila, but with the promise that when she came back home, fresh with accomplishments they could all be proud of, she would set the family free from the poverty.

In Manila, Laarni came face to face with more hardships and suffering.Without her family to turn to, she found a lot of friends who shared her interest and passion in singing. Through them, her knowledge in music was enhanced, boosting up her confidence to sing.

Her voice as her asset, Laarni found ways to send herself to school. To graduate from college would be the first step toward fulfilling her promise to her family. But when the opportunity for a showbiz career knocked, she chose to drop school for the meantime and give PinoyDreamAcademy a try.With PDA, she could find herself delivering her promise of achievements to her family earlier than she expected.

Source: www.pinoydreamacademy.ph

Songs Performed:

1. In Your Eyes - Regine Velasquez
2. As If We Never Said Goodbye - Barbra Streisand
3. Fighter - Christina Aguilera
4. Kung Ako Na Lang Sana - Bituin Escalante, duet with Iñaki
5. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin
6. Let's Groove - Earth, Wind & Fire, trio with Apple & Miguel
7. Too Much Heaven - The Bee Gees, a cappella trio with Apple & Miguel
8. ‘Di Ko Kayang Tanggapin - April Boy Regino, face-off with Zhel
9. And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going - Jennifer Holliday, face-off and duet with Poy
10. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
11. On The Wings of Love - Regine Velasquez, counterpoint with Bugoy
12. The Prayer - Andrea Bocelli & Celine Dion, duet with Jed Madela

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin