Friday, September 17, 2010

Getting a good sleep.

Who doesn’t want a good sleep? I don’t know about you but I really love a good sleep. I could sleep for 12 hours or more during my rest days as I’m lucky if I can sleep for 6 hours during work days. However, I was having difficulty sleeping for the past few weeks. I occasionally spend nights tossing and turning on my bed. I tried counting sheep only to find out that it doesn’t’ work for me.

They said that sleep requirements slightly vary from person to person but most adults need at least 8 hours of sleep to function at their best. I have long discovered that I need at least 6 hours of sleep at night for me to be at the peak of my performance. My mood suffers when I don’t get sufficient shut-eye. I can be easily irritated and can be disoriented at work if I don’t get enough sleep.

Sleeping strategies being offered by some self-help books and online references don’t always work. I guess it may work for some people but not for others. So the key is to experiment on what sleep strategies work best for you.

They said that the quality of your bedroom environment can spell a big difference in how well you sleep. They said that the key is to create an ambiance that is suitable for sleeping. This holds true for me since I usually do other stuffs in my bedroom like eating, watching TV or doing my online activities which may be the reason why it was hard for me to wind down at night. So what I did was I moved my desktop computer to a different room and my TV will soon follow. I intend to reserve my bedroom only for sleeping. This way, when I go to bed, my mind and body will get the cue that it’s time to sleep.

I am the kind of person who can’t sleep when the light is on. Even dim lights like those from a television or computer monitor can be my sleep enemies. The awful street light near our house has been pestering me for the past few weeks. Curtains are doing a poor job of blocking the light that shines through my window so I’m currently looking for roller blinds that can do a better job. I found a good number of styles and designs that would perfectly match my bedroom.

Setting a regular bedtime is also another strategy that works for some people. They go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every day. However, this is hard for those of us who have active schedules.

Eating the right food and regular exercise, stretching and relaxation, a warm bath before going to bed are some of the other tips that you can try that may just work for you. But if the issue persists, then consider visiting a doctor.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin