Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Starbuck’s No Smoking Campaign


In compliance to the recent campaign of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) to make Metro Manila 100% smoke-free, Starbucks stores posted notices nationwide that it is converting all designated smoking outdoor areas into non-smoking zones starting June 27.

The move was met with mixed reactions. Some said that this will alienate smokers from patronizing the company’s products but some even lauded the company’s good corporate social responsibility.

I don’t smoke so this is welcome news for me. I can now enjoy my Starbucks coffee without the offending smoke from cigarette smokers. I just hope that other companies would follow suit and support the government with its smoke-free campaign.

We all have rights to do what we want to do but certain rights end when we start to violate the rights of other people. Smokers have the right to smoke but other people also have the right for fresh air.

Kudos to Starbucks! Let's support smoking ban in public places!


1 comment:

Emmanuel said...

I'm a smoker and this is a bad news for us smokers. Starbucks is the only place that I can relax and they took it away from us. Starbucks will surely loose customers because of this.

It's unfair on our side because they don't understand how hard it is to feel the pressure and stress and smoking is our way to ease it.

It's our rights and I hope they'll put consideration in this kind of things. kudos "let smokers smoke"

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin