Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Viral Conjunctivitis aka Pink Eye


I’ve been contemplating on filing a vacation leave for a couple of days as I think i’ve earned myself a rest for all the stress and pressure from the office. Never did I imagine that the rest will come unexpected and unwelcome. Last week, I’ve had flu-like discomforts. I have colds, cough, mild fever and frequent headache. I also noticed increase amount of tears, itchiness and redness in the eye as well as blurred vision. I was told that this has got to do with the eye and somebody even warn me that I may have astigmatism which I immediately dismiss as I have a near 20-20 vision the last time I was checked.

It was Friday when I can no longer take it, I wasn’t able to go to the office. The next day I went to the nearest Eye Center and I was told that I have a viral conjunctivitis. The name is quite alarming but the doctor said there’s nothing to worry about it. Had he said sore eyes or pink eye, it would have made a better impact. The doctor prescribed topical steroid drops to reduce the discomfort from inflammation. He said it usually goes away within 3 weeks.

Conjunctivitis, also known as pink eye, is an infection of the conjunctiva, the thin clear tissue over the white part of the eye. Conjunctivitis has a number of different causes, including viruses, bacteria, irritants such as shampoos, dirt, smoke, and pool chlorine or allergies like dust or pollen.

Conjunctivitis caused by some viruses and bacteria can spread easily but is not a serious health risk if diagnosed promptly. To avoid spreading the disease, take these precautions:
• Wash hands frequently
• Avoid swimming (bacterias can be spread in the water)
• Avoid touching the face
• Disinfect surfaces such as doorknobs and counters
• Don’t share towels or washcloths
• Do not reuse handkerchiefs (using a tissue is best)
• Avoid shaking hands

I still have it and I was already on sick leave for 3 days. Hopefully it will go away in the next couple of days. I want to be able to rest without this discomforts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin